“The Upper Monroe neighborhood exemplifies the best of the Monroe Urban Village. Residents can easily access the ingredients essential to comfortable city living – retail, restaurants and recreation resources – within walking distance of their homes. Its boundaries are marked at the north by Route 490, south at the city line with the Town of Brighton, east on Culver Road, and west to Field Street.” – City of Rochester | Southeast Neighborhoods – Upper Monroe
We’ll keep you continually informed of happenings on our Community News page. Sign up to our E-mail List (see side bar) for the latest buzz on UMNA area happenings. Also, you can now pay your UMNA membership dues ONLINE by clicking clicking on the sidebar donations feature. And, if you’ve got something to say about the Upper Monroe Neighborhood, say it on Nextdoor Upper Monroe, or Upper Monroe Neighborhood’s Facebook.
UMNA’s Gardens wants you
UMNA maintains six decorative neighborhood gardens. Click here to photos of UMNA Gardens. This does not happen without the help of many volunteers. Volunteers meet at a different garden each week (Wednesdays 6-7 pm) to perform routine maintenance and occasionally, more serious interventions. If you can help out, pleases contact Jane Alexander at GoJane@frontiernet.net. It’s a great way to meet your neighbors, share gardening tips, and have fun! No experience necessary!
Got neighborhood issues?
Issues with City Snow Removal Last Winter??? Don’t Miss This (Tuesday, October 6th) Meeting!
Representatives from City of Rochester’s Department of Environmental Services will join us to learn what snow-removal issues are unique to Upper Monroe. With planning is underway for the coming season, and they’d like our input to help determine the issues and how to best address them. We’ll also have representatives from the Center for Disabilities Rights join the conversation.
UMNA meets Tuesdays | 7:00 PM – first week of the month- at New Life Presbyterian Church, 243 Rosedale St, Rochester NY 14620 Hope to see you there.
Monroe Village Farmers’ Market | Wednesday Evenings, June 10 – October 15, 4:00 – 7:00 PM
The Monroe Village Farmers Market is run by people like you…people who appreciate city living and are looking to make a difference in the neighborhood! To volunteer to help with the market contact Allen Krisiloff at firstname.lastname@example.org, Location: Blessed Sacrament Church Parking Lot, 726 Monroe Avenue, (Near Oxford), Rochester, NY
Monroe Branch Library events:
Open pdf file for events at the Monroe Branch Library for the month of October 2015
Registration is now open for the Monroe Milers fall session.
Children, ages six and up, are encouraged to join our running family. Our young ones train for a one mile race. Our older ones train for the Pumpkins in the Park 5K on 10/31. Monroe Milers meets for about an hour every Wednesday at 6 p.m. and every Sunday at noon, starting September 9, 2015. Training runs start at New Life Presbyterian Church, 243 Rosedale Street. All participants are fitted for a pair of running shoes in August, so we encourage early registration. Sign up fee is $15, but no child is turned away due to lack of funds. We welcome walkers, too. Get the brochure here: fall2015_brochure
PS: The Milers have an on-line Razoo fundraiser underway. They need only $1200 to meet their fundraising goal. See link below if you are able to contribute:
Support Operation Socks, Shirts and Shoes
Keep the Monroe Milers running!
Donate through this link:
What’s so special about Upper Monroe Neighborhood?
- We are a friendly business/residential neighborhood
- We have an awesome community garden project called: Wide Water Gardens
- We were instrumental in getting Bicycle Boulevard program into the City of Rochester’s Bicycle Master Plan
- Weekly, during the summer, we maintain our many UMNA Gardens, placed about our neighborhood
- We have a major Urban Forest that is continually maintained. Learn about the Washington Grove Preservation Project and help out by first checking out Friend of Washington Grove Park Facebook.
- We keep our neighbors informed with our newsletter, our email list, link to the Nextdoor Upper Monroe program (which is like an online neighborhood watch program, and (of course) this website–which is always up to date.
- We sponsor many events throughout the years, including the Winter Party, plant sale, Harvest Party, and more.
- We are presently being considered for high speed internet Greenlight Networks
- Especially with Fleet Feet now in the Culver Road Armory mall, we are the running neighborhood in the city.
bikeROCHESTER Consider bicycling through Upper Monroe Neighborhood instead of driving. Save money, increase your health, see the great sites more casually, and lower your carbon footprint. Learn all about bicycling in Rochester—what the laws are, what the signs on the road are, how to get a bike rack, a bike locker, where and what bike boulevards are and just about anything you need to know about bicycling safely in our neighborhood. Form the City of Rochester, NY.