“The Upper Monroe neighborhood exemplifies the best of the Monroe Urban Village. Residents can easily access the ingredients essential to comfortable city living – retail, restaurants and recreation resources – within walking distance of their homes. Its boundaries are marked at the north by Route 490, south at the city line with the Town of Brighton, east on Culver Road, and west to Field Street.” – City of Rochester | Southeast Neighborhoods – Upper Monroe
We’ll keep you continually informed of happenings on our Community News page. Sign up to our E-mail List (see side bar) for the latest buzz on UMNA area happenings. And, if you’ve got something to say about the Upper Monroe Neighborhood, say it on Nextdoor Upper Monroe, or Upper Monroe Neighborhood’s Facebook. Also, our neighborhood includes Washington Grove Park, a beautiful Old Growth forest wonderfully maintained.
Got neighborhood issues?
UMNA meets: Tuesday | April 5| 7:00 – 8:00 | New Life Church (Use Rosedale Entrance) All Are Welcome
Clean Sweep in Upper Monroe & Wide Water Gardens
Saturday | April 30 | 9:00 – Noon | Meet at Monroe at Laburnum or at Wide Water Gardens
First timers welcome! Come visit with neighbors, meet new ones and spruce up our neighborhood. It’s fun and productive. Bring work gloves if you have them. We’ll be helping in some of our community garden maintenance, picking-up trash and general neighborhood spruce up.
You may start at Frontier Field, between 8:00 and 9:00 for the city wide kick-off, or come directly to our 2 neighborhood meeting spots at 9:00. Free ticket for each volunteer to Red Wings game at 1:35, hot dog & drink at the stadium.
Please Register Here: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/cleansweepregistration.aspx
When registering enter UMNA for Organization and Southeast for Quadrant to assist
2016 Annual Membership Drive:
Your Membership and dues our vital to our work in the neighborhood.
Yearly membership dues are:
- $20/household, property owner or business
- $10/Senior citizen, student or tenant
- Contributions also welcomed for the Monroe Avenue Beautification Fund where we maintain 7 gardens, and for additional Neighborhood Support.
Checks made payable to UMNA. Mail or deliver to: Jane Alexander, 63 Avondale Park, or deliver to: Chris Stevens, 179 Crosman Terrace. Please include: Your name, address, phone # and email. VISIT US AT: www.UpperMonroeAvenue.org Find Current items of interest, and join our email list to stay current with neighborhood news and event.
Monroe Avenue Survey
The City is conducting a survey about transportation issues along Monroe Avenue. Whether you use a bus, a bike, a car or your own two feet. Whether you live along or visit the Avenue. Whether or not you have issues as you park your car or as others park near your home or business – this survey is for you. Bus issues? Sidewalk issues? Snow removal? Happy as things are?? Let your voice be heard with this 5 minute survey.
Monroe Avenue Parking/Mobility Survey
Go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MonroeAve
Monroe Milers’ SPRING Registration is Here! This is a terrific program, open to the first 50 who register.
Monroe Milers, a youth walk-to-run program, for ages 8 and up, meets for about an hour every Wednesday at 6 p.m. and every Sunday at noon, starting March 2, 2016.. Training runs start at New Life Presbyterian Church, 243 Rosedale Street. The program will culminate with the Wegmans Family 5K on April 24, 2016.
- Youth ages 6 & 7 train for a 1 mile race.
- All participants receive running shoes, socks and a shirt. Please see the spring 2016 brochure for details.
- Please forward to youth living in or near Upper Monroe Neighborhood.
Rochester Pride is coming to Upper Monroe! – July 16, 17
Saturday parade down Park Ave will turn south onto Culver and end at Cobb’s Hill
Thousands of attendees expected. Free parking with shuttles will be available.
Sunday 5k run starts at 8am; should be done by ~11:30
There will be music. Event ends at 9pm Sat and 6pm Sunday.
The event includes a ton of activities. See http://www.gayalliance.org/ for more details.
Trail Assessment Public Meeting
Tuesday | April 26 | 5:30 – 7:00 pm | Tay House Lodge, 85 Hillside Ave
Your comments sought – a study is underway to assess the trail network in Washington Grove, make recommendations. The design team will explain proposed improvements, answer questions, and take your feedback.
Monroe Branch Library [• 809 Monroe Ave. • 428-8202] events:
Open pdf file for events at the Monroe Branch Library for the month of April 2016
Help with: Food, Case Management, Clothing, Housing, Health Care Any other services
Rundel Memorial Library: Mondays 10-2 | Wednesdays 12:30-3 Thursdays 1-3
Legal Only:, Friday 1-4 |No appointment necessary.
A recent local news article claimed, “All your friends are moving to Victor,” but many DINKs (that’s “Double Income, No Kids”) are choosing to live within city limits and still enjoy a healthy, affordable lifestyle. The Upper Monroe neighborhood — nestled near the Swillburg and Park Avenue neighborhoods and right near the Brighton town line — is a natural progression for young couples or even families who want to move beyond renting in the trendy Park Ave or South Wedge areas. (Full disclosure: I recently moved to Upper Monroe after several stints in Park Ave and one in Marketview Heights.) Cobbs Hill is within walking distance. The Culver Road Armory boasts high-end shopping and eateries — with another expansion in the works. Street parking is always available. Single-family homes are affordable and sit on tree-lined lots. The city’s largest community garden, Wide Water Gardens, is located between Rosedale and Hinsdale streets. Upper Monroe? More like Upper Fun-roe. [See Best of Rochester 2015: Critic Picks, Rochester City Newspaper, October 28, 2015]
What’s so special about Upper Monroe Neighborhood?
- We are a friendly business/residential neighborhood
- We have an awesome community garden project called: Wide Water Gardens
- We were instrumental in getting Bicycle Boulevard program into the City of Rochester’s Bicycle Master Plan
- Weekly, during the summer, we maintain our many UMNA Gardens, placed about our neighborhood
- We have a major Urban Forest that is continually maintained. Learn about the Washington Grove Preservation Project and help out by first checking out Friend of Washington Grove Park Facebook.
- We keep our neighbors informed with our newsletter, our email list, link to the Nextdoor Upper Monroe program (which is like an online neighborhood watch program, and (of course) this website–which is always up to date.
- UMNA is a proud member of Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) with over 73 organizations of faith, business, and many more to Encourage local leaders to take steps to prepare our region for the future effects of climate change (e.g., update transportation and utilities infrastructure)
- We sponsor many events throughout the years, including the Winter Party, plant sale, Harvest Party, and more.
- We are presently being considered for high speed internet Greenlight Networks
- Especially with Fleet Feet now in the Culver Road Armory mall, we are the running neighborhood in the city.
bikeROCHESTER Consider bicycling through Upper Monroe Neighborhood instead of driving. Save money, increase your health, see the great sites more casually, and lower your carbon footprint. Learn all about bicycling in Rochester—what the laws are, what the signs on the road are, how to get a bike rack, a bike locker, where and what bike boulevards are and just about anything you need to know about bicycling safely in our neighborhood. Form the City of Rochester, NY.