“The Upper Monroe neighborhood exemplifies the best of the Monroe Urban Village. Residents can easily access the ingredients essential to comfortable city living – retail, restaurants and recreation resources – within walking distance of their homes. Its boundaries are marked at the north by Route 490, south at the city line with the Town of Brighton, east on Culver Road, and west to Field Street.” – City of Rochester | Southeast Neighborhoods – Upper Monroe
We’ll keep you continually informed of happenings on our Community News page. Sign up to our E-mail List (see side bar) for the latest buzz on UMNA area happenings. And, if you’ve got something to say about the Upper Monroe Neighborhood, say it on Nextdoor Upper Monroe, or Upper Monroe Neighborhood’s Facebook. Also, our neighborhood includes Washington Grove Park, a beautiful Old Growth forest wonderfully maintained.
Go to Community News if you are viewing this website via a Smartphone to get the latest updates.
Got neighborhood issues?
DATE CHANGE: November UMNA Meeting Will Be One Week Early
October 25 | Tuesday | 7:00 – 8:00 | New Life Church (Use Rosedale Entrance)
All Are Welcome’ No Subsequent November Meeting
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Garden Maintenance
Wednesdays | 6:00 – 7:00
Join neighbors each Wednesday to care for our 5 lovely community gardens along Monroe Avenue and Culver Road. Nothing strenuous here but some necessary dead-heading (that’s a technical term) and weed pulling. Email Jane at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out which garden to meet at this week.
The Flowers for the Four Neighborhood Flower Planters at the corners of Monroe Avenue and Rosedale were provided and planted by Lisa Jacques again this year. They are beautiful, and in need of regular Water! Will you sign up to water them for one week this summer or fall? We have some open slots on the calendar. Contact Jane Alexander email@example.com to get on the schedule and help keep us beautiful.
It’s quick and easy. Water jugs will be provided so you can fill them at home and make one quick trip to the planters each day for a week. The weeks run from Monday through Sunday.
AND Stop by the Park Ave. Pets, 993 Monroe Ave., Rochester, NY to thank Lisa for the lovely flowers!
Monroe Branch Library [• 809 Monroe Ave. • 428-8202] events:
Open pdf file for events at the Monroe Branch Library for the month of October: monroe-october-bookmark
Help with: Food, Case Management, Clothing, Housing, Health Care Any other services
Rundel Memorial Library: Mondays 10-2 | Wednesdays 12:30-3 Thursdays 1-3
Legal Only:, Friday 1-4 |No appointment necessary.
A recent local news article claimed, “All your friends are moving to Victor,” but many DINKs (that’s “Double Income, No Kids”) are choosing to live within city limits and still enjoy a healthy, affordable lifestyle. The Upper Monroe neighborhood — nestled near the Swillburg and Park Avenue neighborhoods and right near the Brighton town line — is a natural progression for young couples or even families who want to move beyond renting in the trendy Park Ave or South Wedge areas. (Full disclosure: I recently moved to Upper Monroe after several stints in Park Ave and one in Marketview Heights.) Cobbs Hill is within walking distance. The Culver Road Armory boasts high-end shopping and eateries — with another expansion in the works. Street parking is always available. Single-family homes are affordable and sit on tree-lined lots. The city’s largest community garden, Wide Water Gardens, is located between Rosedale and Hinsdale streets. Upper Monroe? More like Upper Fun-roe. [See Best of Rochester 2015: Critic Picks, Rochester City Newspaper, October 28, 2015]
What’s so special about Upper Monroe Neighborhood?
- We are a friendly business/residential neighborhood
- We have an awesome community garden project called: Wide Water Gardens
- We were instrumental in getting Bicycle Boulevard program into the City of Rochester’s Bicycle Master Plan
- Weekly, during the summer, we maintain our many UMNA Gardens, placed about our neighborhood
- We have a major Urban Forest that is continually maintained. Learn about the Washington Grove Preservation Project and help out by first checking out Friend of Washington Grove Park Facebook.
- We keep our neighbors informed with our newsletter, our email list, link to the Nextdoor Upper Monroe program (which is like an online neighborhood watch program, and (of course) this website–which is always up to date.
- UMNA is a proud member of Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) with over 73 organizations of faith, business, and many more to Encourage local leaders to take steps to prepare our region for the future effects of climate change (e.g., update transportation and utilities infrastructure)
- We sponsor many events throughout the years, including the Winter Party, plant sale, Harvest Party, and more.
- We are presently being considered for high speed internet Greenlight Networks
- Especially with Fleet Feet now in the Culver Road Armory mall, we are the running neighborhood in the city.
bikeROCHESTER Consider bicycling through Upper Monroe Neighborhood instead of driving. Save money, increase your health, see the great sites more casually, and lower your carbon footprint. Learn all about bicycling in Rochester—what the laws are, what the signs on the road are, how to get a bike rack, a bike locker, where and what bike boulevards are and just about anything you need to know about bicycling safely in our neighborhood. Form the City of Rochester, NY.